Online Deutschkurs Forum

How can I find a job?

Guest · 4 · 18346

Jen

Hi!

My name is Jen and I am 31 years old. I am originally from North Carolina, but moved to Vienna in October 2009 because my husband lives here. Ever since I came here, I have been looking for a job. My husband is originally from Spain and is working at a hauler because they export a lot of goods to Spain. Unfortunately, he can’t help me with a job since there are no vacant posts in his company. Additionally, I’m not sure how the Austrian job market works…
I have applied for several jobs which were posted on stepstone.at, monster.at, derstandard.at, etc., but so far the reactions of potential employers have been bad. I don’t know if I’m right here in this forum, but I thought there might be people who can help me? I am usually sending a CV which consists of two pages and shows my work experience as well as my educational background (I have a major in Spanish from college) + a letter of application which shows why I am right for this position and outlines my motivation.

As for my German skills, they could be better. I have done some German classes prior to coming here and I am approx. level B1 according to the European Framework of Reference.

It would be really great if someone could give me helpful hints on what I should do when applying for a job or what I need to bear in mind.

I would be truly grateful for any kind of advice!

Thanks in advance,
Jen  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Damien

Hi,
I will try in English, because, obviously your German is not strong enough, is it? And maybe this is exactly the problem, unless you find a real international company. But still, I think, that even in a company like Coca-Cola they will speak a lot of German. This could be the reason why a boss doesn´t want to employ you. What kind of job are you looking for? I spent several years in different countries and generally could quickly find a job as a teacher (my mother-tongue is french) or helping students. I have friends in Vienna teaching french or english, the best is to have a ESL-Diploma if you want to teach english. Now I work mostly online for a french marketing company, this is the best job I could ever find, because I am really flexible. I had some jobs in Austria just to pick up the language and they were really helpfull. What I would recommend is: Go on as far as you can with a German course and try to get as much practice in German as you can.
Good luck.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

June86

Hi Jen!

It´s so great to meet you here! I´m in the same situation like you, but unfortunatly my english is not so good like yours!  :-[

I´m 23 years old and three months ago I came with my husband from China to Austria. We have a little baby-boy, so I don´t have to look for a job now. But in a few years, when my baby goes to kindergarten, I want to work again as a secretary.
My husband works at the UNO-City and I´m almost every time alone here in Vienna!

Next months I will take my first german course at the Deutschakademie - I´m so nervous to learn the new language! Perhaps we can meet each other? Together we are less alone! ;D

Many nice greetings, June
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jen

Thank you so much for the advice!

However, I don't see myself as a teacher. I wouldn't want that for my future career. I'd rather work in an office...

I know that I should learn German in order to communicate better but I'm afraid that it might collide with my potential job...I know there's also evening courses, I have to think about it.

I also wrote an application to work as a research associate at some universities in Vienna - I'll let you know how that goes!

@ June86: I'd love to meet up! I know way too few people here in Vienna. :)

Does anybody else here have similar difficulties finding a job? If you have found a job in a German-speaking country even though you're from abroad - how did you do it?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
friendly
funny
informative
agree