So tomorrow morning my mother leaves back to America. She had been in Berlin for quite a while visiting me, and she loved it! Sie liebt Berlin and everything in it. Now, of course I completely understand, as I too love Berlin with all my Herz. And although I do not want to go back and live in America, I have to say I am a little jealous of my mom and her trip back to the US. I love my life here, but honestly there are quite a few things that I miss about the US that I can’t get here in Berlin. I’m sure lots of you have things that you miss about your home too, maybe a favourite TV Serie or perhaps a favorite Gerichte you can’t get here. Whatever it may be, it is something you can help but secretly long for, no matter how awesome Berlin is. So today, I thought I’d just talk a little bit about the strange and seemingly unimportant things from the USA that I miss.
- Free water at Restaurants (I think you know eactly what I’m talking about lol)
- Classic American TV: Saturday Night Live, Jeopardy, Law and Order, etc.
- Stores being open on Sundays: haha
- American Rap Music
- Air Conditioner (I know we really don’t need it here, but im Sommer it’s nice to be able to control the temperature it is in your home)
- American humour although I love German humour as well!
- The Sun (haha i’m only kidding, partially)
- Customer Service (mots of times no one in the stores of Berlin helps you and if you ask them to help, they don’t look to happy about it lol)
- English: I don’t even know why I miss this language that I heard every day for the first 18 years of my life, but I do! I’m sorry, I’m weak.
- Free bathrooms
- Acai Bowls
- MY DOG (aw I miss my little baby so much! Do you guys have any pets you had to leave at home?)
Things I do not miss:
- American Politics: enough said
- Bread: because Germany has the best bread I’ve ever had
- Starbucks and their overpriced, terrible coffee
- Music and TV Censors
- Country Music
- American mentality
- Fast Food restaurants at every corners
- Terrible public transportation
Honestly, there are definitely pros and cons to every, town every city, every country, it’s just up to you to make the most out of where you’re living. Try to find the good, and overlook the bad. I hope you get to visit your home country and see all your family soon! Until then, bis bald!